Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 1: Autologous Stem Cell Transplant or It's not a margarita? or Why do the chemicals have to sound like enemies of Godzilla?

OK...so what exactly is my fragmented psyche trying to say?

Catch these names.... Day 1:  Bis-chloro-nitro-sour-ea, Chemical day one....didn't get nervous until I saw the nitro part....maybe there a job in for me as NITRO MAN----Naw I'm too tired.

The sour part was cool---maybe it really is a cocktail..after all it did come wrapped in a brown bag...Naw...too metallic. Actually gave me a taste in my mouth like its Brand name, CAR-MUST-INE...I had a Chevy that smelled like this......Oh wait a minute, its base liquid is alcohol...what?

OK hows this ---the Brand Name is BCNU. I believe they name Bmers and Mercedes cars with letters or maybe its a transformer. Naw!!!

Wait.....I think I've solved it, its Godzilla's old nemesis Mothra's cousin-Chloro-sour-e-a, for sure......

Back to earth now.


Day one started at 9:00am at Baptist Memorial Stem cell Unit, Memphis Tn. It began with a taste in drip form of some units of IV solution to hydrate, an anti-allergic reaction drip, and a smattering of anti-nausea medicine, then 2/1/2 hours of Nitro Man.

Verdict:  OK, time out-2:15 pm. Left with two battery infusion pumps connected to IV, and anti-nausea medication, residing in a carry bag (actually I put it in my backpack) ...connected to my portacath.....and heavy. YOU carry this around and sleep with it...OUCH!!!!!! I had some headache, and some fatigue and some chemo brain from the steroids (I forgot to mention this). Oh no and now one of the pumps is beeping, trying to tell me that I will be aggravated and up all night....oh no!!!! and I can't turn it off........pull the batteries. Goodnight!

Tune in tomorrow for CYTARABINE, and ETOPOSIDE.

Till then...smiles.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun!
    Keep the Coz attitude. You'll make us all envious.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  2. The enemy of my enemy is my friend?
    Hmmm... I love you lots. Keep truckin'. And enjoy your pasta.
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete