Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life for me is a small math problem.

Hello again....

No I didn't miss a post on purpose. Day 2-5 (Tues-Friday) are basically the same.
Ara-C, Cytosar-U commonly called CYTARABINE, and a "wonderful"great drug called VP-a6, Etopophos, commonly called ETOPOSIDE. One's a push----given by pushing the chemical through the tubing into my veins and the other is a drip....

I was thinking that the names would be easier to remember if they named all chemos as Poison #1, #2, etc...but I'm in Marketing and I should appreciate the Branding effect on my reasoning that they are "good".

And since I can't use that comedy routine again, I can report everything is still going well, some fatigue and misery (my own) sleeping with overnight battery infusion pumps and tubing and trying not to mess them up or pull them out changing positions. Wish I could take this picture----this is funny!!!!

Ok so what about the math problem?

When they took my healthy baby stem cells from me we were shooting for collecting about 5 million. I was very lucky, some folks take up to a week to do this. I took one day to get to 5.5 million. Then they were divided into 4 parts, frozen in liquid nitrogen (if you are up on this - kinda like Ted Williams Head at death (read to the end). So on Monday, they have to defrost enough to cover the infusion of about 2.4 million and hold the rest in reserve. If this infusion fails I can't use the others for another infusion (I'm thinkin I'm not wanting another one so lets say this one is Definitely going to work K!)-I would need to get donor cells, so the reserve is for (For my computer technical audience) to get me back to RESTORE if both infusions fail.

So whats the answer for Monday. (hint:  more is not better)_____________

See you soon -smile, and most of all stay healthy and enjoy life!!

Thanks to all my students (for understanding my plight), my colleagues for their help as always their concern,  special kudos for Neil, Barry, Howard, and Duff. Thanks to my My Outreach and DL friends and staff everywhere-Locally Lynn and Wanda- and too many names to mention. Also my followers and comment folks....I enjoy reading them. And thanks to Jess and Sherri for making my "procedure"part of their life through their contributions of  hard work to have folks recognize my disease and fight for its cure.

And to all my lovely children Brit, Ty, and Jess, and surrogate child KT -focus on your lives and goals, I'm not going anywhere soon----and Bob (who fills in graciously with just a call to arms) and soon my sister Chris (ready for pasta, eggplant, and meatballs....yay!), and to those that wish they could do more for me (I promise I will give you the opportunity)-My love goes out to you.


And Ruth and Wayne for their encouragement and "new drainage system" and hopefully for some great entertainment when it is installed. And Tomatoes and love are only a telephone call away! Tam, Don Andrea, Rich, Radical, the entire Cleary clan, and our wonderful caring family matriarch Patricia (you hold us together and we thank you....)

AND ESPECIALLY (DYWTMM).......TRACY- my forever wife, caregiver, com padre, baseball junkie, forgiver of my faults, follower of our dreams.  Tracy :) Mexico is only a short flight away!

1 comment:

  1. Mr. Cosenza,
    My family as well as my church have been praying for you. My son even said a special prayer for you at dinner tonight. I truly hope these weeks are as easy on you as possible and that the end result makes it all worth it. I wish no one ever had to go through this and hopefully before long there will be a cure and no one will. Please know that many people are praying for you and anticipating your return to "normal"...whatever that is:o) I'm sure you can't wait to get back to teaching as your passion for it is obvious.

    Leigh A Healy

    ReplyDelete